More Parents Allowing Teen Sex in the Home, Reports Show

Filed under: ,

"If you think for one minute I am going to let you go out tonight just so you can have sex, you have another think coming, young lady! You are going to march straight to your room and have sex where I can hear you! Now get out of those jeans and put on something slinky. Chet will be here any minute."

Whatever happened to the old "not-under-my-roof" when it comes to teenagers having sex? Well, some parents say it just isn't practical.

Patty Skudlarek, who is one of them, tells ABC News that she wants her 18-year-old son to have sex with girls in the privacy of his own room. "I'd rather he do it here than somewhere else," Skudlarek tells the network. "With the kids having sex at home, it's a safer environment because, you know, it's clean. And usually the place they keep the condoms are in their bedroom."

Hey, she says, it's better than some motel.

A growing number of parents share Skudlarek's opinion, according to ABC. Meanwhile, other parents disagree. Strongly.

Letting kids have sex at home is like letting them drink alcohol, Ritchie Steinmann, the father of two teens, tells ABC. "You don't drink in my home. You don't bring home a girl or a boy and close the door and run around in my home. It's the decency and sanctity of what we call home."

One mom, Chloe Foreht tells the network she allowed her 17-year-old daughter to ha! ve sex w ith a longtime boyfriend at home. "I was OK with her having sex in my home because of the relationship she was in, because of the teenager that she is," she says. "Her boyfriend would sleep over probably once a week. And I was comfortable with that."

Hidden sex, she adds, would be more risky.

"If they're having it outside the home, who knows who they're having it with?" she tells ABC. "There's a bigger chance, I think, of less safe sex, maybe more different partners."

All other arguments aside, what about the icky factor?

Few people like to hear other people having sex. Kids don't like it when it's their parents. And parents definitely don't like it when it's their kids.

"I'm not sure that I personally would feel comfortable being at home knowing that my teenager is having sex in the next room," Carolyn Meyer-Wartels, a mother of two teens, tells ABC. "And I think that parents do need to create boundaries in the home and say things like, 'I don't think you're ready to be doing this. I don't think you're ready to be doing this here or anywhere, for that matter. '"

What's your policy on sex in the home? Join the discussion on Facebook!

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenna Lyons divorce: Lesbian lover of J Crew boss outed as Courtney Crangi

BAFTA TV Awards 2011: The Only Way Is Essex girls lead the glamour

Small Doses of Vicodin OK for Breast-Feeding Moms, Study Says