rraway: The Daybreak star invites us into her tranquil new office, an escape from the hubbub of live

Add to My Stories Share

Peace at last: Kate Garraway finds her office a great place to escape

1 SEA PLUS...


This picture of Seasalter, near Whitstable in Kent, wasnt expensive its just a photo made to look like a painting - but I love it.
We go there as a family whenever we can and rent a little hut on the beach with a view out to sea. I find myself gazing wistfully at this photo all the time, dreaming of the day when I can have a little place there rather than having to stay in someone elses.

2 LIGHT OF MY LIFE


The first thing I bought when I left home as a student was this lamp. It has been to every bedsit and flat Ive ever lived in.
It made me feel grown-up when I got it and now it makes me feel at home wherever I am. Its very chintzy and only cost about 12, but it makes me think how lucky Ive been to work in TV getting perks and freebies - I want to remember the thrill of finding a bargain.

3 PERFECT PAIRING


Its not terribly pretty, but this Egyptian sculpture of a male and female couple reminds me of my husband Dereks proposal when we were on holiday in Cairo six years ago.It takes me back to that first flash of love. We were staying in this massive suite with a jacuzzi. He got down on one knee in the water and proposed. We bought the statue in the market afterwards.

4 MY LITTLE GENIUS


My daughter, Darcy, whos five, drew ! this for me. She loves painting, and we do a lot together. Its very therapeutic. When Ive drawn something she teases me and says, Thats really good, Mummy.When she comes here she says, Mummy, can I do some work with you. Thats why there are rubber stamps all over the painting with things like COPY - she wants to feel like shes working..

5 CUSHY NUMBER


One of the great bugbears of our marriage is that I love cushions and Derek doesnt. Its ludicrous, I know, but at home he has banned them. I have at least five here in my haven. I am cushion-obsessed.
My current favourite is this one I got on a charity trip to Togo in Africa. It indulges my cushion fetish. Its purple with gold patches and sequins. I wouldnt mind sitting on it, but I think its best admired.

6 HOME FROM HOME


Working in TV youre always hot-desking, so its lovely to have my own office to decorate. These pictures remind me of whats close to my heart:
Theres Derek with Darcy just after she was born. Theres Darcy made up with a face-painting kit. She likes to paint us and her brother Billy, whos nearly two. Theres also one of Billy in a sailors suit. He looks like a little Prince Charles.

More...

  • I never dreamed of such a Strictly fairytale ending... Former EastEnder Kara Tointon was broke and single but one year later she's happier than ever
  • Me and my school photo: The founding member of Genesis Mike Rutherford remembers beatings with a slipper and lumpy porridge

Kates new website offers users exclusive discounts, details at www.goodypass.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jenna Lyons divorce: Lesbian lover of J Crew boss outed as Courtney Crangi

BAFTA TV Awards 2011: The Only Way Is Essex girls lead the glamour

Small Doses of Vicodin OK for Breast-Feeding Moms, Study Says